Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Much better, thanks

Well, things are better today. First off, thanks to those who sent some encouragement my way (you know who you are). Apparently, I get whiney when I am jetlagged.

Its a bit of a grind here. The weather was iffy, but I'm managing the heat better than I had expected. Actually, Avie brings it up more than I do. Before dropping some weight, hot days knocked the hell out of me. Now, its "just hot" and I carry on with my business.

I'm realising that this place is a bit like high school. There are Olympians/athletes running for some sort of representative role with the IOC. Personally, I haven't focused on the issue, because I'm not eligible to vote as a coach. But, seeing the reps last night made me think of people running for student council. They line up in front of the cafeteria and smile, trying to engage people coming in or out. One fellow, a martial artist from Korea, has impressed me by standing out there since the first day we arrived. In the heat, in his martial arts gi (outfit), pressing hands and saying hi. He is trying hard, and apparently was noticed by the other candidates. Last night, EVERYBODY was out there, doing the same thing. Unfortunately, like student council elections, its coming off as style without substance. They should talk with Barack and learn how to communicate about issues.

Training went well yesterday. Still there are some isues to deal with. I spoke with Roger daniels from Trinidad and this is his second Olympics. He comented that he was more focused this time. In Athens, he felt distracted with idea of being at the Olympics. It doesn't get any bigger and that does play on your mind. Well, this is his second run and that distraction is behind him. The experience was good to hear and Avie and I both took it to heart. Yes, its big but its still just a shooting match.

My message to Avie has been pretty straightforward: you're prepared to perform. You've trained hard and put in many, many hours. This Olympics isn't about winning, but about performing to the best of your abilities. Perform and let the bean counters decide the standings afterwards.

Simply put, we are both here to learn and then apply that information for London 2012. I have learned and hope that I can put that knowledge to good use. This is Avie's fourth major games (2 Pan Ams, 1 Common Wealth, plus now the Olympics) and each experience brings new knowledge.

I'll probably dig myelf in deeper with the powers that be, but as a coach, I have to be pushier. Yes, that got me in trouble before, but the system doesn't support the meek. I need to identify all possible resources and then push them to deliver. We see and hear of programs at the Village, but we never heard of them at home. They aren't of much use here, while we're getting ready to perform. We'll see what is available and figure out how we can squeeze the system for more. If services cannot be communicated and delivered, then maybe I can inquire about them and acquire them for my athletes.

Okay: its 6:30 am (awoke at 4:54 am to my roommate reading text messages, after fighting to fall asleep witth his snoring) and I need to prep for breakfast and a day at the range. I also have a radio interview with an English-language Chinese radio station, that is broadcast around th world. Think of the Chinese version of "Voice of America". Should be different. Here's hoping that I don't say something that gets me removed from China.

1 comment:

Richard said...

A lot times there are lots of things that are just available for the asking. The hard part is knowing who to ask, hopefully your experience at the Olympics will provide you with some of those contacts.