Saturday, August 23, 2008

Some Thoughts as the Olympics Wind Down

Tomorrow is the last day of the Olympics and, to be honest, I'm glad. While I travel around a lot, I'm not a traveller. I like "my place", whatever or wherever that place may be. Currently, its Toronto.

There always seems to be some urgency to go "somewhere" and do "something" when I am on one of these trips. Technically, even when I'm sitting on my ass, I'm doing something. Its called "sitting on my ass." It didn't happen by accident. I made a conscious choice and, thank you very much, I'm happy with the decision. While this notion doesn't sit well with eveyone, I'm okay with it, and since I'm writing the blog, that's what makes it to print.

Regardless, I did do something today: visit the Silk Street Pearl Market. Think of it as the Christians being thrown to the Lions, except that there are zillions of lions and zillions of Christians. If you avoid eye-contact and smile like an idiot, you might just make it out alive. I was there to find something, and Lien and Avianna were my guides.

Actually, Avie was trying to keep me from freaking out (I hate crowds and this place was CROWDED) and Lien was bartering. There are NO prices listed anywhere. You barter for everything. See something you like and ask how much OR offer 10 RMB ($1.40 CDN). They scream in disgust and accuse you of stealing food from their starving children. You counter that they are taking the money meant for your ailing mother's lung transplant. Haggling ensues and you buy an original Ming vase for the equivalant of a Big Mac and a side of fries (med., no drink).

Now, I'm a guy. When I walk into a store, I don't window shop. I look for what I want, buy it, and then get the hell out. Women "shop". They look at stuff and inquire, even when they aren't remotely interested in buying it. Its like teasing on the first date: guage interest and then deny. So, Avie and Lien were looking at stuff and I was getting hit on right left and centre (yes: surrounded on all fronts in this zoo.) Everyone shouting, "Sir, do you need a watch/sunglasses/shirt/bracelet/necklace..." The list of artciles to be bought went on ad nauseum. Eventually, I just put on my sunglasses and plugged in my iPod, shutting them all out. Even without the iPod on, they didn't know.

Our internet is down again and I'm at another aunt's house. They took very good care of me, and now I have to go. I have a secial bottle of Mou Tai of the highest quality. It was a gift to my aunt, and she's the head obstetrician at one of teh big hospitals here. So, its the good stuff. Now I just have to figure out how to get it home.

Speaking of home, I've been told that I've been doing nothing for too long, and I must leave.

Never got to my Olympic thoughts, but I'll maybe hit an internet cafe when I get home.

No comments: