Sunday, August 17, 2008

News of My Death Are Somewhat Exaggerated

Several days have passed and I'm back in the blog-sphere. No, I didn't get hit by another car. I got hit by a bug. As a result, I've been suffering from diarrhea for the last few days. Finally, I called the medical staff with the Canadian Team, and I am getting treated in the Olympic Village. Free Powerade to bring up my electrolytes (suffering from dehydration) and free internet.

While feeling lousy, I did see a few things. Yesterday, I dragged my butt down to the Bird's Nest. Avie had bought several tickets for Track and Field. The seats were AMAZING, 8 rows from the triple jump pit. The tickets were expensive, but worth it. From them, we saw the high jump, steeple chase (where one woman gave herself a concussion during a nasty fall in front of us - video to follow eventually), triple jump, 10km, 400m hurdle, hammer throw... The list goes on. When people initially think of the Olympics, these are the sports that they normally envision, and there we were. Many thanks to Avie for getting these tickets.

Also, I visited a community internet cafe. Wow: talk about different. First, they take your passport (Chinese citizens provide govt issued IDs) and scan it into their Police ("Chinese Cultural Defense Ministry"?? - I'll go back and get the wording) system, along with a photo they take right then. Then they assign a pin to that ID, which you enter into the computer to surf. EVERYTHING you do if logged. Its illegal to "query" (search via Google/Yahoo/etc.) illegal topics. It is alot dfferent thatn what we're used to in North America.

I need to head out. I'm still weak and not feeling great. Few more days and I'll be up and on my feet.

Patrick

No comments: