Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Show me your papers, please...


So, this past weekend, I received my accreditation. Every world cup and major games has some sort of accreditation which tells the organizers who you are, where you're allowed to go and what services are to be given to you. If you don't have accreditation, you don't get anything, except for abuse. (Important note: don't lose your accreditation. You'll get a lot more abuse...) Things started to feel very real when I opened that envelope.
My accreditation is good for several days of pre-event training, for the venue and the Olympic Village. After it runs out, I become a spectator/visitor. Just like everybody else. *sigh*
Actually, there is an advantage of being a spectator. As an accredited member of the team, I must follow a series of rules about blogging, what I can say or speak about, where I can speak, etc. Its not excessive, but as a Canadian, I'm used to unrestricted free speech. Not so here.
I've received Spectator Guides, Team Guides and travel advice. I can say whatever I want, but... I can get tossed out pretty quick if I violate Chinese law or the spirit of the Olympic movement. Could it really happen? My plan is not to say anything inflammatory and act as an ambassador of my country and sport. Nonetheless, if I screw up and speak freely, what price could I expect to pay?
As a spectator, I can do more, but I can access less. We'll see. More than anything, I want to see Avianna excel and perform at her best. My Olympic experience is important, but secondary.

2 comments:

Pat Gustafson said...

Thanks for doing this. All of us left behind will be watching the TV for a glimpse of a Canadian shooter ( or any shooter!) and reading your blog. thanks pat

Richard said...

Wouldn't they let you use your alias "Dr. Neo Cortex". Have fun, I've added your Blog to my iPhone so that I can live vicariously through you.